Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why We Use Social Media

According to Ragan's PR daily, "more than 66 percent of online adults in the U.S. belong to at least one or more social media platforms". That means that there are more than 155 million users in the U.S that are actively involved with at least one social media site. Compared to the total world population of more than 7 billion, 845 million of those actively use Facebook. Coming in second, Twitter has 127 million active users and Google+ has 90 million.


Why does so many of the world population use social media? Are there scientific facts behind it or is it just for entertainment value?


Online MBA recently did a study on demographics that explain the top 7 reasons why American's belong to social networks, which were:

1. Stay in touch with friends (67 percent)
2. Stay in touch with family (64 percent)
3. Reconnect with old friends (50 percent)
4. Connect with people who share similar interests (14 percent)
5. Make new friends (9 percent)
6. Read comments from celebrities, athletes or politicians (5 percent)
7. Find potential romantic partners (3 percent)

Photo Credit 

Could this be the only reason we spend countless hours on the internet surfing the web. We want to stay connected to our friends and family? I have a feeling it might be a little deeper than that. 
I remember a few years ago before sites like MySpace, Facebook and Twitter were popular, the world seemed so big. I would chat with my close friends and family face-to-face and never feel like I am "missing-out" if I didn't attend an event or party. Now with the rapid growth of social networking sites, I am able to connect with people all around the world I never though possible. We can communicate with large powerhouse brands through comments on Facebook and have a glimpse into our favorite bloggers life through Instagram. These tools make the world seem so small. I can honestly say that If I go a few hours without checking my Facebook or keeping up with my Twitter updates, I begin to feel isolated and that I am missing out. It's that constant fear of missing that epic tweet or new picture comment that will ultimately leave you at the wayside while everyone else moves full force ahead without you. 

In an article from The Next Web, Deborah Mackay states that we use social media sites to seek out happiness. We are addicted to the happy feeling we get when we check our notifications or tweets, which is produced by Dopamine, as concluded by Susan Weinschenk. She states that "the speed of the Internet provides instant gratification and as a result creates a ‘dopamine induced loop". This is why we feel compelled to constantly check our Twitter feed, look at new Facebook notifications and find it impossible to ignore that new email or text message. It's called a dopamine induced loop. It also relates to the social learning theory, which parallels to the uses and gratifications theory. The outcome of visiting social media sites like Facebook and Twitter gives us a feeling of joy. Because these sites gave us joy the first time we visited them, we assume the next time we will get that same feeling, known as outcome expectation. We get immediate gratification when we log in to Facebook and see what are friends are up to, or when we Google a specific subject and find tons of information that leads to tons of other non-related information you were originally seeking. This sends us into a loop, where the dopamine feeds off of ours seeking information, once we start seeking we are then rewarded for our seeking and ultimately wants us to want more. The more this loop effect is in play, the harder and harder it is to stop.

All of this talk about feeling happy, instantly satisfying a need, and being plugged in all leads back to habit. Media Now mentions how "much media behavior is governed by habit, in which we suspend active observation of our new media consumption and just "automatically" turn to the sports page or begin our day by check our e-mail" (Straubhaar, LaRose, Davenport). I cannot begin to express how true this is for myself. I have an iPod touch and I often click on Facebook out of habit, not even realizing I am obsessively checking my newsfeed. It also happens when I turn on my computer, my default website I automatically click first is usually Facebook.

Maybe that is why more than 66% of the U.S population is currently using at least one social media website.


Resources: 
Straubhaar, J., Larose, R., & Davenport, L. (2009). Media now, understanding media, culture, and technology. (6 ed.). Boston : Wadsworth Pub Co.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that I believe these social media sites are created in such a way that they are actually addictive. My now ex-brother in law played over 4,000 hours in 4 years on the online game EverQuest while still working a full time job. Needless to say his ignoring his family cost him his family as my sister and him are now divorced. My sister-in-law is signed up for some farming type game online. She & the family came to visit us one weekend, as we live out of state, and in the middle of a conversation she says, "Oh wait, I have to harvest my crops" So she gets online and instant messages her sister and makes a deal with her that if her sister, in yet a different state, would harvest her crops right then, her sister could have a portion of the profits.
    I thought to myself, "She is 30 years old and in the middle of a conversation she has to check on a game"... I just thought that was sort of, um, well, "silly" for lack of a better term. I guess some people get wrapped up in different things. For me, I spend most of my time in front of the PC doing homework, or I am in the yard addicted to gardening and watching things grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these stats are crazy! I can't say I'm too surprised though, as I am also guilty of the "missing out on the world" when I go a day, or even a few hours, without accessing a single social media site. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly surprised by the influence social media has had on our generations lives and specifically mine. I work in social media and expected myself to get burnt out after I spend hours upon hours on the computer at work checking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. However, the moment I get home, I am right back on my favorite social media sites.

    My day would be incomplete without social media. One of the first things I do when I wake up is check my Facebook and Twitter. I have started to use these platforms not only to stay connected with friends and family, but also to stay up to date with trends and news. For example, today I learned that George Clooney got arrested after reading a tweet from Ann Curry of the Today Show. Social media has been so influential in my life that even after spending all day in the social media world, I still crave more because that is the beauty of social media--it is always changing and being updated. Therefore every time I log in there is something new for me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, really interesting stats!! It makes sense though, I definitely feel that I am addicted to some social media outlets. I think I have kind of distanced myself from Facebook a bit, but that's only because it has been replaced by Pinterest :P I understand that happy feeling we all seek because it is always exciting when I get social media updates.

    I have also started using a lot of social media in the Internship I am doing. We use it to get messages out to the public and raise awareness of our organization. I think it's really helpful in that respect...probably so effective because everyone is addicted!

    ReplyDelete