Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A List of Social Media Sites

With hundreds of social media sites on the internet, I thought I'd narrow it down to some of the most popular.

As of March 2012, the 15 most popular social media sites are:

(1) Facebook as number one.
(2) Twitter
(3) LinkedIn
(4) MySpace
(5) Google+
(6) DeviantArt
(7) Livejournal
(8) Tagged
(9) Orkut
(10) CafeMom
(11) Ning
(12) Meetup
(13) myLife
(14) myYearbook
(15) Badoo

As the list goes on, the top sites become less popular. This shows you how dominant and popular sites like Facebook and Twitter really are.

Wikipedia lists over 300+ sites, and those are just the ones that are most commonly used.

Social Media Today posted an article that lists popular SM sites across the country. A popular site for the Chinese origin is Renren, a site similar to Facebook that appeals to college age students.

Do you have any cool sites that you visit regularly that haven't quite become mainstream yet?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have never heard of most of these sites, and I thought I knew a lot about social media sites

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of a lot of those sites, I'm surprised StumbleUpon isn't on there. I'm not sure if it is technically a social media site but it allows you to post random sites and pictures that you come across and want to share with your friends. I don't use it that much but I definitely enjoy seeing what other people "stumble upon"

    ReplyDelete