Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mashable Just Posted These Intersting Twitter Statistics

Is anyone else astonished that Beyonce's pregnancy announcement generated an average of 8,869 TPS(Tweets per second) ?

When Beyonce announced her pregnancy, a multistep flow of media effects became evident. Beyonce is an opinion leader to the public, which includes her beloved fans. Once she announced she was expecting, that information was captured by the media and influenced those who use social media secondhand. Although they might not have heard it from her in person, the news made its way down the chain and eventually onto Twitter and Facebook, making it accessible by all. The multistep flow model is one way the media impacts media usage.



Straubhaar, J., Larose, R., & Davenport, L. (2009). Media now, understanding media, culture, and technology. (6 ed.). Boston : Wadsworth Pub Co.

4 comments:

  1. This info graphic is hilarious. I am a social media addict as well, I confess. :) I think I can relate also to the results of the 2010 study, 24hrs is the maximum I have spent without checking at least Facebook. the word that best describes what I felt would be "isolation" in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great infographic! Twitter is definitely addictive since many people have "quit" and then started again. I think it is so weird that social media can be a serious addiction (talk about #FirstWorldProblems). I read somewhere that we will have problems with our thumbs in the future because they are not supposed to bend that way when we text. Also, I know the artificial light causes sleep problems. I wonder what other problems and side effects social media will cause in the future (besides revolutions and protests).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprising infographic. I find it hard to believe that twitter is more addictive than sex, alcohol, ciggerettes, and sleep, but then again I have yet to hop on the twitter craze. I go to sites like buzzfeed, and it can be scary to see some of the stupid things people tweet, namely women saying they wouldn't mind if Chris Brown beat them, and people who didn't know who Paul McCartney is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally cannot believe twitter is more addictive than cigarettes! I mean, I'm not even a big fan of twitter, and most of my friends actually prefer Facebook over Twitter. I also think it's interesting how the percentile of grad students using twitter is very low, what does that mean? People in grad school know better than to be addicted to that stuff is my reasoning.

    ReplyDelete