Friday, March 16, 2012

CBS views on Social Networking Addictions

CBS News National Correspondent Hattie Kauffman reports that Social Networking is in fact an Internet Addiction. After one interview with CNET.com Senior Editor Natali del Conte, Kauffman finds that the American Psychiatric Association is starting to recognize Internet addiction as a real addiction. This article was published in 2009 and in such a short time the use of social media has exploded.

Natali del Conte offers a few tips on how to prevent internet addiction:
  1. Set Limits- Only allow yourself a specific time limit each day to spend on the internet for leisure. I know when it becomes time for finals, a lot of my friends disable their Facebook pages so they can concentrate all their time and energy to their studies. It seems bizarre but it truly does work.
  2. Turn off e-mail notifications- Disable direct e-mail notifications so you are not tempted to visit the site for new comments or updates. It will also keep your inbox less cluttered
  3. Don't leave your social networks open- I am guilty of this, especially when I am doing homework. It's so easy to leave the Facebook tab open and click it anytime I feel like I want a distraction.
  4. Don't network on your phone- This is a hard one for me because looking at Facebook and Twitter on my iPod is so much easier for me than using the computer. Plus both applications automatically save my passwords so I don't have to log in every time I want to check my news feed.

Resources:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500202_162-4205009.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

2 comments:

  1. These seem like helpful guidelines. I do have FB on my phone, but for a long time I resisted because I felt like I needed to set it aside when I left the house. When I got a new phone, however, I put the FB app on my phone. Surprisingly, I didn't really check it that often - mainly when I was super board and had nothing else to do (say, waiting for the bus). After that I lost my phone though, but I was recently able to get it replaced - when I installed the FB app on my replacement phone I noticed it was a newer version. This newer version of the FB mobile app was great (easier to read the font, etc.) but annoyingly, when ever you get a notification it bings/buzzes (like your phone would for a text) every single time you get a notification! Annoying! There's a glitch with it too - it won't let you turn the notifications off. So, now I know when someone likes something likes every tiny little thing - it pulls me in when I don't want to be involved. Because of this, I'll probably delete the app. Anyway...that was a longer story than I'd planned to tell, but I thought it was relevent. I love your blog - colorful and interesting. If you have a chance to glance at mind, I'd appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice! I'm sad to say that from the moment I wake up, to the moment I fall asleep, I am somehow involved with social media. I get nervous and anxious when I'm in a class room and my WiFi doesn't work and I can't check my emails or Facebook (darn you UCD!). It's almost sad that we have to create guidelines for social media because social media is so new compared to other things people are addicted to. I will definitely start using some of these tips!

    ReplyDelete